In addition to being an author and researcher, I am also a professional editor of both fiction and non-fiction. I’m open to all genres, but am most experienced with fantasy, science fiction and historical fiction.
My aim is to help you write the best book you can, without ever compromising your voice. I believe that an author/editor relationship based on compassion and mutual respect will always enrich the creative process. My feedback is concise, specific and constructive. I’m never vicious, but always honest!
I work at reasonable rates, with all prices capped at $700 USD.
‘Julian is my go-to editor for all my indie stuff. He combines an uncanny eye for detail with a storyteller’s passion. He always improves my work.’ Mark Stay, author of The Crow Folk and The End of Magic
- If you are just starting out and have a detailed outline for your book, I can provide an Outline Critique. You will receive an in-depth report containing feedback and advice on plot, structure, character development, etc. Getting this advice early will save you pain in your first draft!
- I can provide a comprehensive report evaluating your full manuscript. Focusing on plot and character, I analyse how well the story is working as a whole.
- Using Microsoft Word, I’ll add comments, pose questions, and make suggestions. This process will identify plot holes, problems in world-building, character inconsistencies, as well as issues with pace and theme.
- If there is anything specific on which you need feedback, let me know and I can help!
- With surgical precision, I examine the book scene by scene and sentence by sentence to ensure the tiny, easy-to-miss details are consistent throughout. For example, you don’t want your character’s eye colour changing halfway through the book!
- I will also check spelling, grammar and punctuation are accurate and consistent throughout.
- I can do minor rewrites to tighten your prose, removing extraneous words.
- To ensure your work provides good experience for an audio listener, I can check your writing for unwanted rhyming and alliteration.
- All changes are tracked for your approval.
- A basic proofread to remove typos, check punctuation, and identify missing words. I won’t provide any analytical comments or evaluate your work. This is the last stage before publishing your work.
All prices are capped at $700
Indicative prices below – I will provide a formal quote depending on the complexity of the work. Prices are subject to negotiation. All prices are in USD.
- Outline critique – $0.007 per word
- Developmental edit – $0.015 per word
- Copy edit – $0.015 per word
- Basic proofread – $0.007 per word
Interested in working together?
Please e-mail the first 1,000 words of your manuscript as a Word Doc to email@example.com. I will provide a free sample copy edit and return it to you as soon as possible. This will help you determine whether I am a good fit for your work. From here, we can discuss the details of your work, deadlines, and pricing via email. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me via the form below!